Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Kalahari Adventures

Chris and I found an incredible deal for Kalahari that we just couldn't pass up.

The water park has recently expanded and claims to be "the largest indoor water park."

We had so much fun! It was a much needed break for all of us and now the boys keep asking when we are going to go back...

Drew enjoyed the lazy river and the hot tub while Jonathan preferred the wave pool and the hot tub. Even though Jonathan had his preferences he wanted to go on all the rides! He is fearless and rode even the biggest slides on his own.





At one point Chris decided I needed to go ride something by myself. I chose one of the new slides that combined a tube ride at the beginning with a toilet-bowl like experience at the end.

I was so nervous. I'm not sure what my problem is but as I get older I am not as much of an adventure seeker as I once was. I used to ride any roller coaster and go on any water slide. Not so much anymore. So, as I was walking up the stairs I could feel my heart beating faster, my palms were sweating, and I was having second thoughts. You see, the only way to exit this slide is to be dropped out of the bottom of the toilet bowl. The diameter of the opening is about as wide as I am tall.

I noticed on my way up the stairs that there was a girl lifeguard at the bottom of the ride. That gave me a little bit of re-assurance...I felt better looking stupid in front of another girl than a guy lifeguard.

Half way up the stairs I made small talk with another lady and she told me that the ride I was headed to was scary. Nice. Once I was at the top the lifeguard asked me if I had ever rode this particular ride before. I told her that I hadn't and that I was scared. She blew me off, told me I would be OK, and sent me down. Mind you, this is a body slide, not an inner tube slide so I had to lay down, cross my ankles, and put my hands behind my head.

The tube part wasn't that bad. The toilet bowl was actually fun too, but I kept watching how many times I would be able to swirl around before being dropped into the water below. Another thing I had to keep in mind was that I wanted to fall feet first, not head first or back first.

I think I counted three times around the bowl then before I knew it I splashed down (on my side.) The water was too deep for me to stand up and water was pouring down over my head from the bowl. I was so disoriented that I think I went under a couple of times. I finally swam out from under the water, gasping, and tried to touch again. Again, I could not but this time I saw a guy lifeguard watching me drown. I felt like such an idiot. When I reached the steps I gave him an akward chuckle, smiled, and walked away humiliated.

I went back to where Chris and the boys were (the wave pool) and told him I almost died. He laughed hard. In my face.

What an experience!

On a yummier note, Andrea called Kalahari's candy store (The Candy Hut) and had chocolates delivered to our room. We were so impressed! I have to admit that Chris and I watched the Republican debates in bed with the box of chocolates between us.




Thanks Andrea!

No comments:

Post a Comment