Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Student of the Month Recognition Dinner

Jonathan was chosen as a 'student of the month' last fall. Chris and I were very proud of him! We were invited to a dinner for all of the first semester 'students of the months' this past February and had a great time! It was fun getting to do something special with just Jonathan.

Although...

Secretly, I believe that everyone in Jonathan's class will have been chosen student of some month by the end of the year. I should have kept track. Why is it that public schools are scared to recognize truly exceptional children?

How do you feel about each child being recognized? Do you think 'student of the month' is more like a featured entree at a restaurant rather than a special or discounted entree? I guess that would make more sense in my mind. But yet the title is deceiving! This isn't a RECREATIONAL baseball league (where I believe that every team member has a right to play as much as anyone else on the team.) This is school!

There are scholarships to be had...GPA's to be earned...VALEDICTORIANS TO BE NAMED!!! Oh wait...Jonathan is only in kindergarten. But do you understand my point???

This is just another example of the celebration of mediocrity. Do you remember the part in The Incredibles movie where Syndrome reminds us that, "...when everybody's super...no one is..." Hmm.

Sorry if I have offended you. Remember, I'm a public school teacher...

On to the pictures...


On the way in!



Does that look like the face of a student of the month?



Jonathan's best buddy Jade. He just so happened to be 'student of the month' too...



Not sure why Chris insists on making such a stupid face when I take pictures...



Jonathan was so proud of his accomplishment!



Jonathan and Jade basking in the spotlight!



This is the tallest man I have ever met. He also just so happens to be a kindergartner teacher at Jonathan's school. He was the guy at Halloween wearing the crazy basket ball uniform and wig. When I saw how close he was seated to us at the recognition dinner I decided I had to get a picture of him. After multiple failed incognito attempts, Chris decided to just ask if he would pose for a picture with me. I was so embarrassed! This man has no clue who I am and has no reason to take a picture with me. Fortunately, he was good-natured about my freaky preoccupation and agreed right away to pose for the picture. I think my face was bright red when we smiled. I'm so stupid! Chris thought the whole thing was hilarious!

This next video showcases not only Jonathan's singing abilities but mine as well. Be kind...this is my first public performance. P.S. I know I look horrible. Just go with it.




Clearly at the beginning of the program!

This second video is of the principal announcing Jonathan's name and pertinent info as he receives his award. Obviously we had not yet bought Greta when his resume was filled out. Jonathan and his classmates were the last ones to receive their awards. Patience is a virtue! Patience is a virtue! Patience is a virtue!





These videos took FOREVER to load...Am I doing something wrong?

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Amen! The Incredibles is my favorite movie for that reason. I can't stand it when we applaud students for doing what is expected. At some point competition has to rear its ugly head, but I am a public school teacher too. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete