Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pomp and Circumstance

Tonight marks the evening before Jonathan's last day of kindergarten. I cannot believe it. Tuesday we attended a graduation ceremony for him and I snapped some pictures of his room for the last time. His teacher is awesome and I can only pray that he will continue to be given the quality education that she has provided this year. Thankfully Drew is going to have her next year (he's so excited!) I think I might cry when we have to say good-bye to her for good!





It's times like this that make me wonder if I am making the most of every opportunity with my children. Time is flying. Am I being the mother they deserve? Am I teaching them all I should? Am I strengthening their spirit or tearing it down? Do I make them feel important or insignificant? Do they know how much I love them?

I have been blessed with two incredible boys! Your children are blessings too. Make some memories this summer!

(Stepping off the soap box...)

Jonathan's teacher told us to get to graduation early for a good seat. We ended up being the second family in the gym. Nice! First row seats!!!


After waiting almost an hour and a half, the ceremony finally started (I told you we got there early!) I was so anxious to see Jonathan in his little homemade cap. The students walked in very much like a college or high school graduation. Pomp and Circumstance played in the background until the last child was in their place at the front of the gymnasium. More than once Chris leaned over and told me that the music was actually England's national anthem. I basically shushed him and said something about traditions.


Poor Buddy's hat was pulled too far down on his head. This lead to his ears sticking out. UH! If you click on the picture to see a larger version, Jonathan almost seems to be sleep walking. Maybe the music was putting him to sleep...





The previous two pictures are the reason Chris and I are psuedo-talking about buying a new camera. I'd love a camera that zooms and still takes great pictures. Beth, I need to write down your camera model and start doing some research. There's no way I can put a price tag on my pictures and I want to be able capture our life as vividly as possible. CHRIS ARE YOU READING THIS???

Jonathan was able to shake the principal's hand and his teacher's hand when he received his diploma. Unfortunately, the camera was only able to get the principal's handshake.


Way to go Buddy!

(WARNING: You may not want to read the next paragraph...)

Actually, why are we celebrating kindergarten graduation? Did we really expect the kids not to pass? Should they really be rewarded for something that is expected of them? Do parents REALLY need to hoot and holler when their child's name is read as if it's the biggest accomplishment of anyone in the family? OK, wait...Don't answer that. Just remember, when everyone is super...no one is. How can I as a mother encourage my children to rise above the mediocrity that has plagued so many Americans? How do I teach them the value of hard work, education, and perseverance? HOW CAN I TEACH MY CHILDREN THE VALUE OF INTRINSIC MOTIVATION??? When someone figures that out, please let me know...then I can incorporate that knowledge into my classroom as well.

(OK, it's safe to read again!!!)

I'm anxious to see what's in store for Jonathan (and Drew) next year...

************************

I just realized that some of my blog posts mention my friend Beth. You need to know that she is awesome. I miss her terribly and this blog is quite possibly one of my ways to stay connected to her. I love seeing updates on her family (and I hope the feeling is mutual.) I have other great friends linked to my blog. You should check them out some time. There are two links to complete strangers' blogs but they make me laugh so hard sometimes! ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! Thanks! I miss you too, my friend! I'm looking forward to seeing you this summer. Don't be surprised if I forward you job openings from the local school districts. Hint, hint!
    BTW, I LOVE reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete