Saturday, January 03, 2009

It's Preschool Time for Drew!

My youngest child is now officially in school. Drew is so excited to be a big kid! Yes, it's only preschool, but our family has hit a milestone. I am a mother of school age children. Time flies!

We put him in the Tuesday/Thursday class which would allow him to be six when he entered kindergarten (just like his brother.) Because of our decision to 'hold him,' Drew was one of the oldest kids in his class, if not the oldest.

It became very apparent that Drew did not belong with such an immature age group. Certainly I have my biases but I believe Drew was not being challenged enough. After much consideration, we decided to move Drew to the Mon/Wed/Fri class. This decision was huge for me because that meant the boys are only one year apart in school. Drew is now one of the younger kids in his class, still one of the smartest (another bias...I'M HIS MOM,) and he will start kindergarten next fall. I believe it was the right decision but it was not part of the original plan.

Some of you know how hard it is for me to deviate from 'the plan.' Might I remind you of Jonathan's first field trip entry? Did I ever tell you that I went on the next one? I felt so much better about it! Also, I've been able to have someone go on all of Jonathan's field trips this year too!!! My poor boys!

Coming back from the tangent...

Truth be told, I believe Drew could handle kindergarten this year. He has been visiting every time Chris or I, my mom, or my sister go to volunteer. Jonathan's teacher treats him like one of her students and he seems to keep up just fine. He's not the smartest student in the class but he's definitely not the slowest. Should I have typed that??? He even ended up in the class picture. What a stud!

The next few pictures are of Drew's Preschool Orientation. After 'meeting' his teacher we took him to Dunkin' Donuts for a snack.






The rest of the pictures are from his first day of school.




It is amazing how different my boys are. The preschool has an option that allows the parents to stay in their car and drop their children off if a teacher is waiting by the door. Jonathan never wanted to be dropped off but always wanted me to walk him in. Drew has decided that he doesn't need me. He says it's OK to drop him off. He even runs ahead of me and forgets to give me a hug and kiss sometimes. Stinker. If you're wondering, I have yet to have the heart to drop him off' yet. I'm just not ready...yet another testimony to the fact that I have issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment